Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Sweet Pepper & Cauliflower Salad

By Jeannette Ordas of Everybody likes Sandwiches


I know I've been going on about salads a lot lately, but it's summer and it's prime time to take advantage of all our garden bounty. Right now I can't get enough of bright heirloom tomatoes, crunchy green beans and the weird but totally delicious spiny cucumbers my CSA share is doling out. But when our csa passed along a cute little head of cauliflower our way, I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it.





Luckily, I had my new favorite cookbook beside me and I found this gem of a recipe. Can I mention that I'm totally smitten by David Tanis' cookbook Heart of the Artichoke? Head over heals with it, I tell you! I picked up a copy at the local library and ended up buying it because I couldn't stop making recipes from it. You might remember that insanely easy Mexican ice cream I made a while back? Yup, same book.

This cauliflower salad uses just a few simple ingredients, but it's a bright salad with a lot of crunch. It's similar to an Italian giardiniera salad but it tastes so fresh and tangy instead of heavily pickled. Feel free to add in green and yellow beans if you've got them on hand and I can imagine some halved cherry tomatoes sprinkled over top would be lovely too.


Sweet Pepper & Cauliflower Salad
(adapted from Heart of the Artichoke by David Tanis)
1 small cauliflower
1 large red pepper, diced
1 large yellow pepper, diced

2 large cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
juice of 1 large lemon + zest
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
2 teaspoons capers, roughly chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil

a large handful each of basil & parsley, torn

Cut the cauliflower into small florets and add to a pot of salted, boiling water. Cook for a minute to blanch and then drain and cool. Add the room temperature cauliflower along with the diced peppers into a large serving bowl.

In a small jar, combine all the dressing ingredients and give a big shake. Pour dressing over salad and toss well to coat. Let the salad marinate for at least 15 minutes or up to one hour. Scatter basil and parsley over top before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment