Thursday, April 24, 2008

phm studio spaces: bellis studios

bellis

Artist Name: Denise Johnson
Shop Name and Url: Bellis Studios, www.shop.bellisstudios.com
Website: www.bellisstudios.com
Blog: www.bellisblog.com
Poppytalk Handmade: Table 24
City: Chicago Burbs


Where in your home/apartment/city is your studio located?
I live in an 1860 Italianate home and my press lives on the first level.

office


What equipment/tools do you use?
I mainly print on a Vandercook No. 3. I also have a tabletop Sigwalt Ideal #3.

vandercook
vandercook_bed


Do you have an inspiration board, and can you tell us what is inspiring you now?
No inspiration board. I like to look at things around me a visually take it all in. I keep a sketch book and jot down ideas before they get away. But lately I've found it easier to carry my point and shoot camera with me and take a quick picture. I have enough clutter in my life and I like everything in clean digital folders.


How do you create best (e.g. do you listen to music while you create and if so what?)
I create best when I carry an idea around with me and just let it brew in my brain for awhile. I used to think I should just sit down and create on demand. But that just uses part of your mind. Carrying it around lets your subconscious knock the idea around a little bit!

ink
letters

List (3) of your favorite artists
Marian Bantjes: amazing typography (www.bantjes.com)
Kate Hoyer: love her use of color (www.katehoyer.com)
Sharleen Heist: brings beauty to everything she touches and I'm lucky I get to call her sister (shartreuse.wordpress.com)


If yours isn't, what would be your perfect studio?
It would be perfect, if I just had more space.

Thanks Denise!

furniture

No comments:

Post a Comment