Wednesday, April 16, 2008

phm studio spaces: melissa moss art

MOSS painting table

Artist Name: Melissa Moss
Shop Name and Url: Melissa Moss Art, www.melissamossart.com
Website: www.melissamossart.com
Blog: www.melissamossart.blogspot.com
City: Los Angeles

Where in your home/apartment/city is your studio located?
My studio is in what used to be the dining room. I have a 9-month-old son (Sam) and gladly gave up my studio to turn it into a lovely nursery for him.

MOSS studio with Sam

What equipment/tools do you use?
I paint on wood with acrylic. My favorite brush is a tiny 20/0 Princeton brush. I use it for all of my detail work.


Do you have an inspiration board, and can you tell us what is inspiring you now?
No, I don't have an inspiration board. When an idea hits me I try to quickly jot it down in my sketchbook before I forget it. Sam is all the inspiration I need at the moment. The love I feel for him is overwhelming and he's delightful to be with all day. The ideas are flowing. I just have to find the time to paint them.


How do you create best (e.g. do you listen to music while you create and if so what?)
It's strange but I work best with the TV on. I don't watch, I just listen. I prefer any of the Law & Order shows or what my husband calls DBTV (Dead Body TV). It doesn't seem too inspirational but somehow it's better than music when I'm painting tiny details.

MOSS studio_computer_printers

List (3) of your favorite artists

Amy Sol
Luke Chueh
Darren Waterston


If yours isn't, what would be your perfect studio?
This is definitely not my perfect studio. I dream about a bigger space where I can be messy and work on larger pieces. My husband and I have a fantasy of owning a house with a big red barn on the property. He's a musician so both of our studios would be in the barn. But I would also settle for just a room of my own that isn't in the middle of the house!

Thank you Melissa!

MOSS_studio_inspiration

No comments:

Post a Comment