Wednesday, April 30, 2008

phm studio spaces: miss natalie

Miss_StudioDoor

Artist Name: Miss Natalie, a.k.a. Natalie Davis
Shop Name and Url: Miss Natalie, www.missnatalie.etsy.com
Website: www.missnatalie.com
Blog: www.missnatalie.com/blog
City: Oakland, CA


Where in your home/apartment/city is your studio located?
I have a second bedroom in our house that I use as a studio, and sometimes I sprawl into the living/dining room for quilting. I'm eternally grateful that we have walk-in closets, as I'm able to hide/store my many books and tubs of fabric.

What equipment/tools do you use?
Sketchbook, sewing machine, embroidery hoop, stencils, gocco kit, computer, scanner, printer, exacto knives, digital camera, pens, pencils, needles, paper cutter

Miss_InspirationBoard

Do you have an inspiration board, and can you tell us what is inspiring you now?
My inspiration board is somewhat of an explosion. I pin up fabric swatches, photos, vintage type specimen sheets, tear sheets from Vogue, prints from friends, and vintage packaging labels.


How do you create best (e.g. do you listen to music while you create and if so what?)
I listen to audio books or radio stories to help me focus. My new favorite show is Radio Lab NYC (radiolab.org), but This American Life is my standby.

MissDesk_CurrentlyWorking

List (3) of your favorite artists:
Walker Mettling
Monica Canilao
Something's Hiding in Here

If yours isn't, what would be your perfect studio?
My perfect studio would be a small warehouse space with large windows. There'd be a screen printing room with a flat file and wash out sink to keep things tidy. The rest of the studio would be totally open, with space to permanently set up my quilting table, a wall of clear plastic tubs for fabric storage, floor-to-ceiling bookcases with a ladder to swing on, flat files to sort all my paper, a wall of cork tiles for my inspiration board, and a giant rod of ribbon spools. Basically I want to run around the space throwing fabric and ribbon and books a'la "Funny Face".

Thanks Natalie!

Miss_StudioLantern

No comments:

Post a Comment