Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Modern, Authentic & Handmade

oprah

When I was asked back in October while preparing for our profile in Canadian House and Home's Trends Issue about what "Look for 2009" I liked, I had suggested authentic, beloved and personal. And what I meant by that is specifically was displaying favorite mementos, art pieces from favorite artists, found things like beach wood, pinecones and river rocks, collections and heirloom objects. Handmade pieces and repurposed things. Things that are close to you and have meaning. I found a few images to sort of show what I mean by that. I love this first photo (above) from O at Home (Winter 2008) from the Nova Scotian home of Alexandra and Eliot Angle. I love the mix of modern (the bed) with handcrafted items (like the twine side table). And below again, modern or even mid-century modern mixed with the wicker chairs, and the collected stones and found objects (antlers?) displayed almost in a way that doesn't look pre-meditated. Also notice the lighting in them both (again modern). Love this. Good samples of this is Twistypine Wallpaper by Handmade Wallpaper and Bookhou's chair (far below). I don't know what this style would be labeled at, any suggestions? Modern & Handmade? Canadian House and Home had one called Modern Craft, which is close to what I was thinking, maybe just without the "collections" part.

Untitled
wallpaper
chair

Picture 11

Photo Credits: Canadian House and Home - Trends Iissue- photography by Angus Fergusson; O at Home - Winter 2008 issue - Photo by Lucas Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment