Friday, June 12, 2009

Opinion: Plywood in all it's Splendor

Loftlife magazine
Every once in a while I run into an interior done up with plywood walls which I love and each time, of course I savour it, and keep it in my memory bank but fail to save the images to show here (kicking myself). Well this time I wasn't going to miss out. Loftlife magazine has a nice example right now featured on their website from a Parisian loft renovated by architects Karine Chartier and Thomas Corbasson (who trained in the studio of Jean Nouvel–last year’s Pritzker Award winner). As stated at Loftlife, "The old industrial laboratory (check out the building’s original freight elevator below) is transformed by adding a heavy textural and uncanny element–plywood." Click here to read the complete article.

Following this I seeked out a few more examples and have linked to each image individually (below). I love the contrast of plywood walls with modern furniture or industrial pieces with clean edges. white laminates and the odd splash of red, orange, yellow or blue-green. Some may not like this look, and of course it's subjective - I'd love to hear your thoughts. Can plywood walls or even furniture (as shown in the very last image) fit into your home, or would you want it to?

Loftlife magazine

Architectural Visualisation by Peter Guthrie
Architectural Visualisation by Peter Guthrie

From Plywood Vacation Home


Old Domino Magazine image via Ohdeedoh.com


From "O at Home" (Fall 2008) home studio of bookmaker and architect Ulla Warchol, photo by David A. Land


Uncommon's photostream for Apartment Therapy
Uncommon's photostream for Apartment Therapy

No comments:

Post a Comment