Friday, April 8, 2011

Weekend Project: Updating Your Kitchen for Free

House & Home
I may have mentioned this here at one time or another, but I came across this photo this week and thought the idea would be perfect for a weekend project. Before we bought our townhome, and when we rented apartments, the first thing I did when we moved into a place was remove the upper kitchen cabinet doors and gave the inside of the cabinets a fresh coat of paint (sometimes out of need to get rid of the grime and other times, because I just wanted to).  And when I did this, I always preferred the doors removed, and left them that way.  It just gave the kitchen a cozy feel (plus I never close cabinet doors, so why have them)?.  This is a fast and easy way to update your kitchen and is very do-able over the course of a weekend.  Paint isn't always needed, but sometimes when you remove the doors there is discolouring from where they were screwed on.

I noticed a while back House and Home's Michael Penney did the same to his galley-style kitchen (shown here).  Doesn't it look quaint?  And if you rent, just store the doors in a closet, and when you move out, hang them back up again!  A free and simple weekend project this week.  Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment