Tuesday, March 23, 2010

SXSW 2010 Austin Texas

2ConverseMural
Contributer post by Will Bryant

This SXSW was a bit different for me. I wasn't able to catch nearly as many bands and spent more time working and meeting folks. Believe me its not a bad thing! I was very fortunate to work with Converse / Levi's Fader Fort during SXSW!

3ConverseMural1

They hired me to create a mural in the VIP area where I would later be customizing sneakers for bands. (WHOA?! I'm just a some dude who draws and has a thick accent.)

WB_muralsweater

4ConverseMural2

There's my buddy Rand Renfrow helping me add some color to the mural.

6sneakers

I think I customized  about 25-30 pairs of Converse over the week, but only managed to photograph some.

7sneakers_tile

5sneakers_Collab

Local artist Maseman was doing the same thing as me and we collaborated on a pair! Jenny Hart also worked a day, but unfortunately I didn't get a picture because I was too giddy to finally meet her.

8Landland_why

I was able to make time to check out Flatstock poster festival. The Decoder Ring is always rad, but I got distracted by conversation and forgot to take a pic. My favorite booth this year was Landland (That's their WHY? poster above).

9Landland_booth

Landland is the charming and talented duo of Dan Black and Jessica Seamans.

10Domy_20zines

My favorite place in Austin, Domy Books, had an awesome zine workshop going on. It was put on by all star makers Winners Press and Test Everything Press (both are things I babble about all the time)!

11Domy_20zines2

That's Paul Windle on the right, mister Winner's Press himself. I'll keep you posted on 20 Zines in 2 days! They should have some updates soon.

12SurferBlood

Finally some bands!!! Pictured aboe is Surfer Blood at Luster Pearl. I also saw the amazingly cute/talented duo She and Him and Broken Bells. She and Him were fantastic live! Gotta love Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward is super smooooth on the guitar.

12YellowFever

Yellow Fever at Cheer Up Charlies. (this is right next to my studio!)

13Fader_BoneThugs

Here's a snap of the Levi's Fader Fort Screen/Stage. I hung out here quite a bit, mostly working, but was able to see Neon Indian, Washed Out, Real Estate, Sleigh Bells, and Bone Thugs N Harmony (pictured above).

I also made a SXSW drawing! Check it out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment