Thursday, April 8, 2010

Hula Seventy: Ruth Shively


Paris, oil and graphite on canvas

If I could, I'd cover an entire wall in my home with Ruth Shively's paintings. I really would. Because I'm completely taken with the way this Portland, Oregon based painter works with color, head over heels in love with her portraits, her figures in landscapes. According to her bio, she's always been fascinated with 'people and the stories their faces tell'. And this fascination, it shows. There's a narrative in her portraiture, a story line in the strokes. It leaves me wanting more.


Motel, oil on linen


Last Day Of Summer, oil on canvas


Bath, oil and graphite on canvas


The Women, oil on canvas


Grandma On The Prairie, oil on wood


Waiting For A Boat Ride, oil on canvas


Girls Of The Congo, oil on wood


Vintage Store, oil on canvas


Tourist, oil on linen


Graumans Chinese Theatre, oil on canvas

To see more of Ruth Shively's work, visit her site and her flickr page. To purchase original paintings and prints, visit her etsy shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment