Monday, June 16, 2008

special Guest Post: by Abbey Hendrickson {aesthetic outburst}

MAPS

IMAGE #1
Hello there, Poppytalk readers! First a quick thank you to Jan for inviting me to be a Special Guest. So fun! I like to think that I’m the type of guest who brings red wine, makes the bed, and cleans her own dishes. I guess we’ll see about that, right? I thought I’d start off this week by welcoming you into our world and sharing some of the things you’d see if you were a guest at our house. My husband and I are major thrift store junkies and are always bringing home new finds. For the last few years we’ve been particularly crazy for vintage pull-down school maps. The map above is hanging in our baby’s room.
Yes, you can find them on ebay, but my secret source for vintage maps (that I’m trusting you all to keep on the down low) is at your local school or university. Many universities have map collections and will de-accession outdated maps and schools are also often itching to unload their old pull-down maps. And that, my friends, is when you swoop in and cordially take them off their hands. I’ve also found them on school surplus auctions like this. If I haven’t convinced you yet, here are some other map images that I find inspiring…

IMAGE #2Perry S

IMAGE #3Three Potato Four sneak peak on Design*Sponge



IMAGE #4mattmill00

IMAGE #5Apartment Therapy SF

Good luck with your search and I’ll see you back here tomorrow.

aesthetic outburst
how now design

No comments:

Post a Comment