Monday, February 15, 2010

This Week from Lisa Congdon: Serena Mitnik-Miller and General Store, SF

cubesContributer post by Lisa Congdon

Every so often I fall in love with a space, so much so that my breath is taken away when I enter. Such was my experience Friday when I walked into General Store for the first time, a new shop in San Francisco's outer Sunset district, near the famed Mollusk Surf Shop. Opened about a month ago by former Mollusk manager, artist and entrepreneur Serena Mitnik-Miller and her partner and fellow artist, Mason St. Peter , General Store is one of those magical shops that is so pretty and cozy that you sort of want to put down your bag and stay for a very long time.

colorfront

Mitnik-Miller and St. Peter carry a variety of extremely cool things all excellently curated into this uncluttered, warm, light-filled space near the ocean: Japanese housewares, artisan goods, design objects, architecture and design books, vintage goods and clothing, pottery, succulents, wooden trinkets and a little bit of Serena's intensely beautiful artwork.

circle

I first met General Store owner, Serena Mitnik-Miller when she shopped at my SF store last year. If you are lucky enough to meet her when you arrive, say hello. She's clearly at home in this little shop (which is truly comfy enough to live in), and is happy to tell you about any of the items in the shop, including her beautiful artwork, some of which is for sale in the shop.

books

I bought one of these gorgeous wood blocks (created by Mitnik-Miller ) when I was there. I want to go back for more.

serena1

Mitnik-Miller paints, makes prints, and does beautiful photography.

serena4

You can see an Apartment Therapy tour of the Mitnik-Miller/St Peter home here .

Whether you live in the Bay Area or come to San Francisco for a visit, General Store is a must see/must visit, along with its "sister" shop, Mollusk , another personal San Francisco favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment