Thursday, March 27, 2008

phm studio spaces: nest pretty things

2195593540_0fbfb7d255

Artist Name: Tamar Schechner
Shop Name and Url: " Nest Pretty Things" www.tamar.etsy.com
Blog: www.nestdecorating.typepad.com
City: Shelburne Vermont

Where in your home/apartment is your studio located?
My studio is in a corner in our dining room, it used to be a small table tucked in the corner and now it's threatening to take over the whole room...

What equipment/tools do you use?
Since 60 percent of what I do is sewing I have a very simple Singer sewing machine, a great cutting board and rotary cutter (can't live with out those two) and lots of equipment for my dream catchers and fairy crowns, such as loads of tulle in any possible color, feather birds, tiny roses, beads, buttons and ribbons, children that come to visit can't stay away from it...it looks like a candy store.

Do you have an inspiration board, and can you tell us what is inspiring you now?
I don't have an inspiration board, but I am inspired by textiles,when I see a piece of fabric I like I immediately know what to make, since i am also an Interior Decorator I am inspired by design books and by interiors magazines, especially British ones such as Country Living, Selvedge,Living Etc. I love things that are funky, vintage looking, colorful, fun and also well designed. I am also very inspired by the beautiful natural surroundings and changes of seasons here in Vermont.

1296120534_de32f645ee
2195592020_bf7d1f4764

How do you create best (e.g. do you listen to music while you create and if so what?)
I work best in the evening after diner, I like to work with my family around me, I don't need to be shut away to work, on the contrary. I do listen to music, my son is a great playlist maker,I love to listen to eclectic mixes of things such blues,rock,folk,etc, but basically I am still stuck in the 70's....oh, lately I am very fond of a lovely singer called Karen Ann, I love her voice it's very soothing. Having said all that I do have to tolerate a lot of my 3 teens music though...sometimes it works and sometimes it drives me crazy....!

List (3) of your favorite artists
A few of my favorites are:
Betsy Walton an amazing artist, I own two of her works and would buy them all if I could... betsywalton.etsy.com
Kjoo, the most amazing yarn jewelry I have ever seen, she is always an inspiration .....kjoo.etsy.com
Karen Hilton's wonderfully bold pillows ....karenhiltondesigns.etsy.com
Irene Suchocki's out of this world dreamy photographs ....irenesuchocki.etsy.com

If yours isn't, what would be your perfect studio?
I had a dream that I am opening a door right off the dining room and there is the most amazing studio, a big white room with a cathedral ceiling and lots of light, lots of shelves and 3 big work tables! sadly I woke up...oh yes, there was also an assistant in my dream....

Thank you Tamar!

2194805409_d8db1ec735

No comments:

Post a Comment