Monday, March 31, 2008

phm studio spaces: nightjar books

DSCN9304

Artist Name: Amy Borkwood
Shop Name and Url: Nightjar Books
Website: www.nightjarbooks.etsy.com
Blog: www.booksireadandbooksimake.blogspot.com
City: Toronto


Where in your home/apartment is your studio located?
My studio is located awkwardly in the corner of my living room, beside a gorgeous bay window.

What equipment/tools do you use?

Small, beautiful tools: bone folder, awl, needles and thread, heavy straightedge, etc etc.

DSCN9271

Do you have an inspiration board, and can you tell us what is inspiring you now?

Right now: hand-drawn maps from fantasy novels, linen and wool, Caroline Gaedechens, root systems, short-short biographies, letterpress work (Trip Print Press, Etsy letterpress art), Katy Horan, more and more.


How do you create best (e.g. do you listen to music while you create and if so what?)

Combination of: constant music (this instant: grizzly bear, ohbijou and forest city lovers, beach house, one heart many hands), constant busyness around the apartment, paying close attention to/losing myself in details, singing loudly, taking constant strawberry breaks.

DSCN9257

List (3) of your favourite artists

dot handmade
anatomy of a skirt
Nuit Blanche
Jennifer Graham
Hillary Webb
(there are 3000 more artists I want to mention)


If yours isn't, what would be your perfect studio?

My studio isn't perfect – I'm still young and in that phase between student housing and true home. I (very) recently moved in with a beautiful, wonderful roommate, we have a house in the middle of Toronto with a small garden and we are incredibly lucky, BUT I would love an entire room for my studio, to put up art on the walls, to line the room with shelves. I would love to have a table big enough to cut bookboard so I don't have to use the floor, and I would love to have an actual dark room to make silkscreening work (rather than painting the screens in a bathroom at midnight, and drying/burning in a mini-closet). In short: more space!

Thanks Amy!

DSCN9258

No comments:

Post a Comment