Friday, March 28, 2008

phm studio spaces: round robin press

studio3

Artist Name: Shannon Lowry
Shop Name and Url: Round Robin Press
shop: roundrobinpress.etsy.com
Website: www.roundrobinpress.com
Blog: www.shannonlowry.typepad.com
City: Austin, TX

studiooutside

Where in your home/apartment is your studio located?

We converted our detached garage to my studio. It took a grueling 7 months
of working on the weekends but the day it was finished was the day my
business truly started. I can't imagine being able to run Round Robin Press
from my living room as I did before.


What equipment/tools do you use?

1916 Chandler & Price 10"x15" letterpress
Chandler and Price Pilot
My computer
Pencil and paper
Encaustic medium
Heat gun
Electric skillet
wood


Do you have an inspiration board, and can you tell us what is inspiring you now?

I don't have an inspiration board, I wish I did. I get inspiration from
everywhere: My friends, design blogs, magazines,
movies, books, nature, my children, my husband-who is my rock, everything
that surrounds me.

studio2

How do you create best (e.g. do you listen to music while you create and if so what?)

I obsessively listen to This American Life and would love to have a little
Ira Glass of my very own! Ha. I also listen to music, and the sounds of my
back yard.

I never know when inspiration is going to hit me - it doesn't come when I
want it to, it sneaks up on me .


List (3) of your favorite artists

Tara Donovan
Jacob Hashimoto
Sodalitas


If yours isn't, what would be your perfect studio?

Even though my studio seems to be shrinking as my paper business grows I
can't imagine ever giving up this space. I love it's minimal modern feel and
great light. I feel fortunate to have a backyard studio, it enables me to
be flexible and within close proximity while my children are young. Having
my own business is extremely important to me and at the same time I don't
want to miss those priceless childhood moments. It's, at times, the hardest
yet most perfect place for me to be.

Looks like a perfect place to be to us too! Thanks Shannon!

studio1

No comments:

Post a Comment