Thursday, July 30, 2009

French-Inspired Pottery


I just love this line from Studio ÉLAN so much that I had to go into it a little bit more. I mentioned their berry bowl earlier in one of my "70 Reasons to Buy Handmade" posts, but I just couldn't pass up their french butter dish, because firstly, I love butter and secondly soft butter all the more. I usually only see these in white porcelain, so to see a french butter dish made from stoneware (especially in such a beautifully glazed "light blue" like this makes it all the more special. If you're not familiar with the french butter dish, it's a very simple and old method. Just pack the top lid with softened butter, then fill the base partially with water (to create a seal when the lid is inverted into it), and then add a bit of salt to the water if the butter is unsalted. Change the water every 3 to 5 days for freshness. Leave at room temperature and serve soft butter right from the lid. The other piece that matches this set is the brie baker. I love baked brie (my sister makes it so well). Hers' is a recipe with a topping of sun-dried tomatoes, garlic and thyme. And so easy, just bake at 350 for 10 minutes (served with french bread or crackers). Click here for more items in this glaze.

StudioElan.etsy.com


No comments:

Post a Comment