Wednesday, May 5, 2010

new paintings by Ashley Goldberg



We've always been a fan of Portland-based artist, Ashley Goldberg's work and are excited to see she has a new body of work for a solo-exhibition at artstream gallery in Rochester, New Hampshire. This marks her third exhibition at artstream and her first exhibition with large scale work on paper. Each of the nine paintings is 26x40 inches and are a departure from her more figurative work. The series of paintings are predominately black and white with a few pops of color - hot pink and silver.

Ashley says this of her process and past: "I strongly believe that what you're happiest doing at five is what you will be happiest doing your entire life. Growing up, I endlessly drew and embroidered (onto washcloths that my grandma gave me) little creatures and animals that I desperately wanted to live in the woods of my backyard. In my mind, these creatures had tiny, magnificent, ornate lairs in trunks of old trees (which I also drew, along with maps of how to get there). And although these creatures were elusive and shy, they always decided to befriend me. Over the years, my creatures have become decidedly more design-driven, but a part of me is still just drawing little friends to have."

The exhibition opens on May 7th from 5-7 p.m. at the gallery. The affordable, framed work will be available online as well on May 7th a noon. The show will run through the end of the month of May. For more information visit artstreamstudios.com or call the gallery at 603-330-0333.

There's an interview on Ashley over here and Ashley's blog is here. Stand by for a podcast on Friday with Ashley at art esprit.

No comments:

Post a Comment